It’s been a week since SPX and I’m still sick with Con Crud as Mari Naomi calls it. I got a total of 12 hours of sleep the whole weekend. Highlights include:
- Rooming with Foxing Quarterly (who sold prints and made a straight killing).
- Using the hotel’s gym and experiencing an elliptical machine for the first time ever.
- Bethesda’s surprising delicious food options. Ize’s Deli, Ethiopian, Korean… Chicken nuggets supplied by Locust Moon.
- Non-stop jiu jitsu talk with Mickey Z, Meredith Gran, Bryan G. Brown and everybody else.
- As usual, skipping the Ignatz Awards. Ceremony gives me panic attacks. Simon Hanselmann married Comics. I heard it was theatrical and romantic. I would have died.
- Following the Awards, a shiny prom organized by Dirty Diamonds.
- Demonstrating FACE YOUR FEAR at the after-party to whomever asked and freaking them out.
- Swapping shoes with Vreni Stollberger.
- J-BAY coining the expression: "Cumming is the opposite of blogging."
This is how my table looked at the end of SPX before I packed up.
Almost everything sold out. Wow.
Thanks everyone. Thanks First Second & Sacred Prism for being nice table neighbors (even though Sacred P left my company on the second day to sit next to Meg Turbitt—who has great and gross comixxx incidentally). Thanks SPX organizers and Big Planet Comics.
BTW, never table by yourself. Always use the buddy system. Good show.
See my Instagram for more pics.
We are pleased to announce NEW SOUTH FESTIVAL OF LITERARY ARTS & CARTOONING, a very special project we’ve been working on for some time now.
newsouthfest (follow us!) is a continuation of Foxing's mission. We plan to establish a large-scale books and comics festival for June 2015: a four-day event with two days of festival, bookended by corresponding events like an art show and concert. The festival, taking place on Saturday (6/7) and Sunday (6/8), will feature a book fair with 120-150 exhibitors and cross-disciplinary panels. New South will celebrate independent literature, alternative comics, small presses, and print culture. It will be highly curated, focused, fresh, and irreverent.
See you soon.
Yeah! There he goes.
A batch from my first figure drawing class the other night.
My digimon partner.